Thursday 14 June 2012

Insulting Behavior

I bought some Blank CDs today at one of the Moroccan bazaars in town. The lad shouted to his wife, 'Bring some of those HPs'. (Hewlett Packard). It reminded me that Juan Pérez once shouted 'HP!!!' at a kid on a very noisy moped. He pronounced it , 'Atchy Pay'. I was puzzled. 'HP...hijo de puta'. he explained (pronounced 'eeko day pootah') (son of a bitch or whore).
This is probably the most common insult here. Usually it is abbreviated to 'hijo puta'. 'Puta' and 'puto' can be used as adjectives too; 'A la puta calle!' (Get the fuck out!')  , 'Termine una puta vez' (Stop it for heaven's sake'). On the other hand 'la puta madre' (the whore of a mother) can be used as a compliment, as in 'la comida es de puta madre' ( the meal was fantastic).
Insults are tricky things in Spain. Everyone calls their friends 'coño' here but I have never dared to. Gilipollas means 'wanker', capullo 'nobhead', and cabrón is ´bastard'

A powerful insult is 'Me cago en la leche' (I shit in the milk) or 'Me cago en los muertos', ( I shit on the dead). Also you can try 'Me cago en las diez' (I shit on the ten) which is beyond me. 'No me jodas' means 'don't fuck me', but is used as 'You don't say!'

To call someone `Shameless' would not appear to be too strong a criticism but I had an experience in a posh lighting shop in Málaga which surprised me. I had taken back 3 'long life' light bulbs which had lasted no more than 3 weeks.´'No guarantee on light bulbs'. said the shop assistant. After a few minutes trying to reason that ´long life' suggests longer than 3 weeks, the discussion became heated and I called him 'Un sin vergüenza' or 'A shameless person'. He got very angry, walked off and fetched the manager. A similar exchange took place, the shop refusing to accept that the bulbs were a defective product and so I was entitled a refund or replacement. I asked for the complaints book (an official document involving the police) which usually does the trick, but it  didn't and only provoked a rapid invective from the manager.`'There's more than one sin vergüenza around here'. I ventured.
 She exploded and walked off. We left the shop in case she had gone for someone empowered to commit violence or the cops. All for calling them ´shameless'.

I was telling this story to a friend in 'Los Caballos Dos' in Alora. Cristóbal, the boss listened in. Apparently to call someone 'shameless' is worse than calling them wanker, nobhead, bastard, coño, shit or son of a whore.
Fancy.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to write all this down and then memorize it!!!..could come in usefull

    ReplyDelete