Tuesday 8 September 2015

Pies to Álora Mission Update


Pies to Álora Mission Update

¡Qué alegría! Paco from Bar Alegría collared me in my office in the Plaza de la Fuente Arriba on Saturday and told me that his wife, Señora Paco had given the  pork pies 'Mas de diez' points- off the scale of scrumptiousness! He scored them 8. Manolo and son sidled over, expecting to have their, in my view, biased and uninformed assessment confirmed. 'Zero' emphasized Javier. But when they heard the scores from Alegría Manolo said,'If Paco says 8, I say 9'. Neither father nor son had come within sniffing distance of the pies. All in all a positive result I think.  Paco asked if I was thinking of opening a shop.
Meanwhile, the ayuntamiento (town hall) has announced that they will take in 200 refugee pies a year to help me out

The toldos shading the top square have been taken down. The steel girders holding them up were dismantled above the heads of Manolo's customers (including me, my sister and Roberto and Cristina). A policía ( local copper) looked on. The umbrellas are still up despite the heavy rain which closed Málaga airport yesterday.


                                                      The Virgin of the Flowers

 Today is 'el Día de la Virgen de Flores'. (The Day of the Virgin of the Flowers) , the patron vigin of Álora. Coincidentally it is also the day of the virgins of all the other villages and towns round here, including Málaga so most of the shops are shut and the bars are filling up. Tonight there will be a big procession round the town which goes past our front door. The lady next door is the Camarera Mayor (head waitress) of the Virgin and so they've been very busy next door preparing for tonight and Sunday when The big Romería procession takes place from La Plaza Baja (our local square) to the Convento a couple of miles away.

No sign of my lemons yet.

Juanito Sanchez.  September 8th (The Day of The Virgin of the Flowers)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment